Dr. Avella is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon who is based out of Ridgewood, NJ. He has been practicing orthopedic surgery for over 30 years and was named Section Chief of Pediatric Orthopedics for the Joseph Sanzari Children's Hospital at Hackensack Hospital. He has also been listed in New Jersey Monthly's "Top Docs" for the past ten years and is also a New York Magazine Best Doctor.
He earned a Bachelor's Degree in Biology from William Paterson University and spent two years at the Autonomous University of Guadalajara. He finished his clinical requirements at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City and completed his internship at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Paterson. Shortly after, he completed a fellowship at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Avella's passion for sports medicine stems from his days of playing college football at William Paterson.He has been the team physician for the Bergen Catholic Football team for the past 30 years and has served as the Doctor for the Governor's Bowl, an annual football game between the All-Star athletes of New York and New Jersey. Dr. Avella acts as a consultant for several sports performance facilities throughout the Tri-State area.
- Hackensack UMC
Section Chief of Pediatric Orthopedics Department at Joseph Sanzari Children's Hospital (Hackensack, NJ)(Hackensack, NJ)
- Vanguard Surgical Center
- Valley Hospital
- Holy Name Medical Center
- St. Joseph's Medical Center
- Children's Ambulatory Surgery Center of New Jersey
(Fair Lawn, NJ)
- Team Physician – NY-NJ Governor’s Bowl All-Star Football Classic
- Team and School Physician – Bergen Catholic High School (Oradell NJ)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Club of New York
- Medical Society of New Jersey - Bergen County Chapter
- Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North America
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Healing the Children (Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon)– International Pediatric Charity
- International Surgical Mission Support (ISMS) – Operation Kids
- The American Orthopaedic Association
- New York Magazine - Best Doctors
- Top Docs - New Jersey
- Bergen Mama’s Best Doctors Reader Poll