Dr. Joffe was born and raised in Wyckoff, and is proud to be serving his home community. After attending Ramapo High School, he graduated with honors from Union College with a major in chemistry. Dr. Joffe subsequently completed research at New York University where he published multiple papers in the field of biochemistry.
Dr. Joffe received his MD from New Jersey Medical School (Rutgers), and went on to complete internship and residency in Orthopedic Surgery at New York City's historic St. Luke's - Roosevelt Hospital Center. During his residency program, Dr. Joffe spent time training in orthopedic oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and pediatric orthopedic surgery at the esteemed Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children.
Throughout his training, Dr. Joffe authored multiple research papers in major scientific and medical journals, as well as textbook chapters. His research has also been presented at international conferences.
After completing his residency, Dr. Joffe traveled across the country to complete a prestigious fellowship in Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery at Rady Children's Hospital of San Diego, a world-renowned hospital on the cutting edge of pediatric surgical techniques and research.
Dr. Joffe's areas of expertise include the operative and non-operative treatment of pediatric fractures. He also excels in the treatment of pediatric sports injuries, including the latest techniques of ACL reconstruction. Dr. Joffe is also well-trained in the treatment of congenital deformities, and complex pediatric hip and spine deformities.
Thoracic and Lumbar Compression Fractures in Patients Presenting to a Pediatric Institution
Avrum Joffe, Carrie E. Bartley, Tracey P. Bastrom, Peter O. Newton, Burt Yaszay
World Spinal Column Journal, 2015, Volume 6, Number 3, Page(s): 115-121
Preliminary Radiographic Outcomes of Surgical Correction in Juvenile Hallux Valgus: Single Proximal, Single Distal Versus Double Osteotomies
Edmonds EW, Ek D, Bomar JD, Joffe A, Mubarak SJ.
J Pediatr Orthop. 2015 Apr-May;35(3):307-13
Book Chapter: "Thoracoplasty for Rib Deformity"
Avrum Joffe, MD; Suken Shah, MD
"Operative Techniques: Spine Surgery," edited by Drs. Alexander R. Vaccaro and Eli M. Baron. 2nd Edition. May 2012.
Trimethylamine N-Oxide as a Media Supplement for Cartilage TissueEngineering
O'Connell GD, Fong JV, Dunleavy N, Joffe A, Ateshian GA, Hung CT. Journal ofOrthopaedic Research. 2012 Dec;30(12):1898-905.
Oxidative DNA Damage Associated with Combination of Guanine and Superoxide Radicals and Repair Mechanisms via Radical Trapping
Richard Misiaszek, ConorCrean, Avrum Joffe, Nicholas E. Geacintov, and Vladimir Shafirovich.
The Journal of Biological Chemistry, July 2004; 279: 32106 – 32115.
A Stereoselective, Multiple-Component Approach to -oxy--substituted--amino carbonyl Derivatives Avrum Joffe, James C. Adrian, Jr. Tetrahedron Letters, Volume 45, Issue 26, 21 June 2004, Pages 5087-5090.
Oxidative Generation of Guanine Radicals by Carbonate Radicals and Their Reactions with Nitrogen Dioxide to Form Site Specific 5-Guanidino-4-nitroimidazole Lesions in Oligodeoxynucleotides
Joffe, A.; Mock, S.; Yun, B. H.; Kolbanovskiy, A.; Geacintov, N. E.; Shafirovich, V. Chemical Research in Toxicology; 2003; 16(8); 966-973.
DNA Lesions Derived from the Site Selective Oxidation of Guanine by Carbonate Radical Anions
Joffe, A.; Geacintov, N. E.; Shafirovich, V.
Chemical Research in Toxicology; 2003; 16(12); 1528-1538.
- Fellowship: Rady Children’s Hospital, San Diego, CA, August 2012-2013
- Residency/Internship: St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, June 2007 –June 2012
- UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School (Rutgers), Newark, NJ, Degree - M.D., May 2007
- Union College, Schenectady, NY, Degree - B.S. Chemistry with Honors, June 2002
- International Study : National Health Systems in England (Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine), Holland (School of Public Health in Utrecht), and Hungary (Semmelweis University), 2001
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America Annual Meeting - 2016
- International Pediatric Orthopaedic Symposium – 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015
- SRS International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques– 2013
- Thoracic and Lumbar Compression Fractures in Patients Presenting to a Pediatric Institution - Podium Presentation, IMAST, 2013.
- Trimethylamine N-Oxide as a Media Supplement for Cartilage Tissue Engineering - Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting, 2011 and St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Research Day, 2011.
- Lower Extremity Deformity in Ellis-van Creveld Syndrome - St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Research Day, 2011.
- Dedifferentiated Chondrosarcoma in the Setting of Synovial Chondromatosis - St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Research Day, 2010.
- The Value of IL-6 and Procalcitonin as Early Markers of Infection in Immune-suppressed Patients with Fever of Unknown Origin - New Jersey Medical School Research Day, August 2004.
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery - Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
- New Jersey
- New York
- Hackensack UMC
- Vanguard Surgical Center
- Valley Hospital
- Holy Name Medical Center
- St. Joseph's Medical Center
- Children's Ambulatory Surgery Center of New Jersey
(Fair Lawn, NJ)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Club of New York
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- The American Orthopaedic Association
- Bergen County Medical Society
- Frank Bailey Prize, awarded to the senior who has rendered the greatest service to Union College in any field, 2002
- Robert M. Fuller Prize (two-time recipient), 2000 and 2002, awarded to the student whose work in the Chemistry Department shows the greatest promise for a successful career in that subject
- Senior Class President, Union College, 2001-2002
- Sigma Xi, International honor society for scientific and engineering research, 2002
- Resident Leadership Forum and Emerging Leaders Forum, 2011-present
- 2010 Recipient of the Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award
- Academic Committee, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2009-2011'
- Orthopedic Resident Representative to CIR, 2009-2011